Tuesday, November 5, 2013

NaPhoPoMo 2013, Day 5: Babies Don’t Keep, 11/5/13


“The cleaning and scrubbing will wait ‘til tomorrow

For children grow up, I’ve learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.

I’m rocking my baby, and babies don’t keep.”

20131105_075258_LLS

Apparently, for me, sleep “will wait ‘til tomorrow” as well, because my baby girl (who is not really a baby anymore at two years old!) woke up at the crack of ugly this morning. She was calling “Mommy, I hold you!” which is her way of saying she wants me to cuddle her.  I stumbled, bleary-eyed to her room and scooped her up, bringing her back to my bed.

She promptly curled my hair around her fingers and fell  back to sleep.  As I snuggled her, breathing in the smell of her hair and stroking her pudgy toddler cheek, I couldn’t help feeling wistful.  She is most likely my last baby.  This is hard for me, because I don’t feel ready to be done with this stage of life, and it’s so quickly flying by.  

Sometimes I wish life had a pause button, but since it does not, and knowing that this is likely the last time I’ll get to snuggle and hold a little tiny person as the MOM, I’ve learned to savor this stage of my daughter’s life.

There’s no hurry to grow up, baby, no hurry at all.

1 comment: